reating a perfect portrait takes a little planning. Fine portraiture captures
facial expressions and mood, while clothing, accessories, and props are
secondary and shouldn't create any distractions. Careful selection of these
will avoid dating your portraits.
white background will show off skin tones best when white, ivory or pastels
are worn. Be sure to select props that match clothing color. While the colorful
pose is a great secondary portrait for a child's playroom, it may not be
suitable for a "timeless" quality portrait.
"This is a 'timeless' portrait.... clothing and
props have been well chosen."
ith only two subjects in the portrait, it is especially important to dress
in the same color(s) to capture their relationship.
"A light suit
attention and can
add weight against
ith business attire a pure white shirt or blouse with a dark suit jacket
will emphasize your neck rather than your face. Pastel, thin striped, or
soft patterned shirt with subtle tie is preferable. You may want to bring
extra clothing and accessories "just in case", and we will help
you decide if something else would coordinate better.
"Excellent coordination. Expressions hold your
s a background, the outdoors is very busy. It is important to choose only
one or two theme colors, with your subjects wearing shades of those colors.
While blues are excellent all year, white, ivory, khaki and salmon are great
against such lush green foliage. Burgundy, brown, tan, and gray are nice
late in the season. Avoid all greens, as they clash with Mother Nature.
"Simplicity of two colors
in hard to
hen you follow these tips and coordinate your dress from head to toe, you
are well on your way to a perfect portrait!
red tie and
- Avoid busy patterns and bright colors.
- Light colors are best with light backgrounds and fair complexions.
- Darker colors look better with deep backgrounds and dark hair or complexions.
- White, ivory, khaki, or pastels are best with a white background.
- Avoid wearing yellow or green as they can adversely affect skin color.
- Shoes or socks should be in key.
- Teens and adults should wear long sleeves to cover elbows.
- Skirts should cover the knees.